Please review University guidelines for best practices and requirements for safety in the laboratory. For questions specific to labs within the Science Center, contact our Environmental Health & Safety Representative (EH&S), Mark Collins.
Emergency Evacuation Procedures
Familiarize yourself with the emergency evacuation routes posted at each elevator and secondary stairway throughout the building. There will be an annual emergency evacuation drill. Questions about emergency procedures should be directed to the Science Center Health & Safety Representative, Mark Collins, at 617-496-7168 . Please review the emergency evacuation plan summary and egress route for your floor(s). Evacuation Routes for each floor are posted below. For an overview of Emergency Procedures see the EH&S Trifold Brochure for the Science Center.
Science Center Evacuation Plan Summary
The evacuation plan for the Science Center is summarized as follows.
Know the following before a fire alarm occurs:
- What level of the building you are on.
- What building quadrant you are in.
- Your room and lab numbers.
- Your primary and secondary exits via fire stairwells.
- Where your outside meeting location is.
- Who your safety monitors are for your area.
Know what to do during a fire alarm:
- Leave the area by means of your primary evacuation route. If this exit is blocked, use the secondary route.
- Once outside the building, report to your designated meeting area. Wait for instructions from your safety monitor or from the Science Center Building Operations Emergency Team.
- Do not re-enter building until Fire Department indicates that it is safe to do so.
- Know the following before a fire alarm occurs: