Electrical Power Shutdowns: Dec. 19, 2022 - Jan. 18, 2023
ELECTRICAL POWER SHUTDOWN UPDATES
The following classrooms will be affected by ongoing electrical work and not be available:
- Saturday 1/28, 5am-7pm: Classrooms B09a, B10, 104, 105, 106, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, & 304
The power shutdown calendar last updated 1/10/23:: Electrical Power Shutdown Calendar
Special Notice to 1-4 Floor North building occupants:
As you may be aware, we have encountered several issues over the past few weeks of the Electrical Infrastructure Project. These issues amounted to several delays in the schedule. As a result of these delays, we will need to perform several additional power shutdowns of 120v and 208v outlet power that will affect the north side of the building on floors 1-4. Please see the attached plan of each floor and the areas that will be affected and when they will be affected. In most cases we can provide temporary power to an office space or lab. This temporary power is limited to 120v cord runs.If you feel you may need a temporary power supply to continue your preparation for the semester please, feel free to reach out to me as soon as you are able to do so. We will determine whether we are able to meet your power needs with temporary power or we need to reschedule the shutdown.
What to expect on the day that power is shutdown in your area:
- Power outage will be limited to 110v and 208v power outlets only.
- Power will be out for a minimum of 8-12 hours depending on your location.
- Power shutdowns will all begin at 5am.
- All of the actual work will be performed in the SC Main Electrical Room in the basement level.
Although we prefer to perform these shutdowns during the day, We are prepared to change course if the shutdown will impact your ability to prepare for the start of the semester.
Welcome to Science Center Building Operations! Our team maintains and manages the physical building in support of the teaching and research mission of Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
We are here to help! Contact us for any of your facility-related needs.
Building Operations' Responsibilities
- Oversight of the building's utility services
- Building safety equipment
- Energy and sustainability management
- Building access and environmental control systems
- Customer service to support all Science Center students, faculty, staff and other visitors
- Ensuring operations of the building and supervising structural/building systems including installations, repairs/upgrades
- Oversees work and work order tracking programs
- Implementation of all modifications plus installation and qualification of all equipment
- Developing building operating policies
- Management of control systems to ensure efficient, safe utilization of the facility
- Serving as the center for coordination of activities related to energy management, environmental health and safety (EH&S) and Control Systems
- Establishing annual operating budgets, and generating and submitting for review all capital proposals and all outsourcing projects
- Oversight of trades and custodial services personnel, security, and Dining Services
- Participating in planning with community to ensure infrastructure and resources are available to support ongoing and planned programs
- Aiding in development of policy for building operations including space assignment, security/keying, maintenance and renovation, mailroom/receiving, lecture hall and classroom support, laboratory utilization, purchasing and inventory
- Working closely with the Office of Physical Resources & Planning and the Office for Sustainability staff to implement best operations and maintenance practices and to participate actively in FAS greenhouse gas and energy reduction efforts and goals for the Science Center
- Overseeing safety and security functions
- Coordinates with Security and Campus Services on "Shelter in Place" policies and procedures for the building
- Providing oversight and reporting in response to fire, security, and other alarms
Building Operations' Services
- Ensure staff provide the best possible customer service and support to all clients
- Coordinates the needs of tenants regarding renovations
- Act as consultant on design of educational facilities
- Processing requests for repairs and upgrades
- Scheduling of all non-departmental classrooms, lecture halls, and public space in the Science Center
- Management of key and card access to the building and offices
- Environmental control systems lost-and-found, and pest control for the building
- Oversight of trades and custodial service personnel
- Serving as the center for coordination of activities related to energy management, environmental health, and safety (EH&S)